Location: Greater London - Central London, Gravesend, Barking to cover Isle of Grain and the Kingsnorth and Shorne area of South East London
Here at National Grid we connect homes and businesses to power, making sure supply and demand match each other. We make sure the lights are on in schools, operating theatres and sporting arenas; we’re thousands of people working on behalf of millions of people. And whatever your role, wherever you work with us, you’ll help us hit stretching targets and achieve our far-reaching goal: to secure, clean energy that supports our world far into the future. Here, you will be at the heart of energy.
A unique opportunity has arisen for an experienced Field Technician. Your role will be to carry out routine servicing, testing, inspection and fault rectification of all assets associated with the National Grid ISS Estate. This includes CCTV, Access Control Systems, Alarm Technology and Door and Gate entry Systems. Full training for the role will be provided
This role will be regionally based and comes with a van – you will need to expect extended overnight stays during the week away from home. We will of course cover your expenses for this time away, the role also attracts overtime and call out rates as applicable.
Due to the sensitive nature of this role, if your application is successful, you may be required to undergo National Security Vetting in addition to the standard background checks National Grid carry out. If these additional security checks are required, you may need to evidence that you have resided in the UK for the last 3 years. National Security Vetting is carried out by a third party provider, UK Security Vetting (“UKSV”), which is part of the UK Government. More information about UKSV’s use of your personal data can be found on their website
About the role
Your role will be to carry out routine servicing, testing, inspection, repairs and installation of all assets associated with the ISS Estate and associated equipment;
• Be the “SPOC – single point of contact” for our 3rd line contractors and specialists;
• The primary role is to drive excellent customer service by working with the Field Team Leads, Coordinators and Operations team;
• Accountable for all aspects of their vehicle, stock and safety equipment;
• Complete all the appropriate fault closures whilst on site and update systems;
• Will fully comply with all Quality, Environmental Health and Safety directives including but not limited to PPE, Accident Reporting, Golden Rules, Risk Assessment Method Statement (RAMS), and Achieving Performance Excellence (PEx);
• Ability to lift, carry, climb ladders and equipment. Ensuring conformance to health and safety requirements;
• Ability to use power tools to repair and / or dismantle equipment;
• Providing 24-7 cover across the portfolio for all urgent faults or incidents;
• Full Driving License;
• You must have previous experience in a similar role within the industry;
• Previous experience of installation or servicing of CCTV, Access control, intruder and door, gate entry systems would be highly beneficial;
• CCTV – Public Space License, training will be provided;
• You must possess sound electrical knowledge, with a proven background through an apprenticeship or hold a similar qualification;
• Approved electrician and/or City & Guilds 236 Pt.1 and 2 in electrical installation and maintenance or equivalent is desirable;
• Demonstrable knowledge of IP technology;
• Strong analytical and data entry skills, attention to detail is required;
• Will have the ability to organise and plan work effectively, both individually and as part of the team;
• Excellent communication skills and experience in customer services .
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
To learn more about working at National Grid and applying for this position, please click on the Apply button.
We look for talent and innovation, we expect high performance and we believe in creating opportunities for enthusiastic people who share our ambition, values and mind set. From sites and offices to our huge range of after-work clubs and social events, the National Grid culture reflects a commitment to inclusion and diversity. Our people are actively encouraged to treat everyone with respect and value every contribution.
You will have a company van, laptop and mobile phone with the position, 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days, an amazing double and match pension scheme, access to our Flexible Benefits Programme, as well as the opportunity to buy discounted shares.
After your application has been reviewed by our recruitment team, you will find out next steps by email. If it’s a no, we’re sorry about that, but keep checking our careers site for our other opportunities. If it’s a yes, if successful we will invite you in to one of our regional offices for a face to face interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.